Help With Insurance Coverage, Including Medi-Cal
At APLA Health, we are champions for your health and wellness. We want to provide the best service possible no matter your needs, and that includes helping you with your insurance plan.
Are you uninsured? If so, our enrollment specialists will assist you with finding the right health plan. If you currently have insurance, we can assist with changes to your existing plan and with any questions you may have about coverage.
During Open Enrollment, choose APLA Health as your provider through your employer healthcare program or Covered California. Our enrollment specialists can help you determine if we are in your insurance network.
We are your provider.
APLA Health offers primary medical care, dental care, and mental health services along with HIV specialty care and PrEP and PEP counseling and management. For these services, here is a list of insurance plans we accept:
- Managed Care Medi-Cal: L.A. Care, Health Net, Molina, Blue Shield Promise, Anthem, plus Beacon and MHN for behavioral health
- Covered California: L.A. Care, Health Net, Molina, Blue Cross, Blue Shield
- Commercial HMOs: Blue Shield, Cigna, Health Net, Anthem Blue Cross, United Health Care, Aetna
- My Health LA (at Gleicher/Chen Health Center and Long Beach Health Center)
- PPOs: We are in-network for medical care with Health Net, Blue Shield, Anthem Blue Cross, Cigna, and United Health Care, and we accept most other PPOs (medical and behavioral health) as an out-of-network provider.
- Medicare Advantage & Cal Mediconnect: L.A. Care, Health Net, Molina, Blue Shield Promise, Brand New Day, United Health Care (AARP), SCAN, Humana Medicare
We also offer dental care covered under these plans:
- Managed Care Denti-Cal: Access Dental, Liberty Dental, and Health Net Dental
- My Health LA Dental (at Gleicher/Chen Health Center only)
- PPOs: We are in-network for Cigna Dental and Delta Dental, and we accept other PPOs as an out-of-network provider.
- We participate in the Ryan White dental program.
How do I select a primary care physician during open enrollment?
If an employee enrolls in an HMO or POS plan that requires a Primary Care Physician election, they will be prompted to enter the Provider ID for the doctor.
- Each person enrolled in an HMO or POS plan that requires a Primary Care Physician (PCP) designation can have a different PCP.
- If enrollees know the provider ID for their PCP, this can be entered in the Provider ID field.
- If they would like to look through a list of possible providers, there is a “look up a list of [doctors, dentists, etc.]” link that will bring up the carrier website.
What if I don’t know my primary care physician’s Provider ID?
If you don’t know your PCP’s provider ID, you can leave it blank and return to it before open enrollment is over. If you do not complete that field during open enrollment, you can change it later by logging into your profile on the insurance carrier’s website. Alternatively, you can APLA Health for assistance.
Covered California and Medi-Cal
Looking for affordable health insurance? Shop and compare affordable, private health insurance plans through Covered California during Open Enrollment. Our enrollment specialists are ready to help you find a plan that’s best for you.
You may also qualify for full health coverage through California’s Medi-Cal program. If your income is less than 138% of the federal poverty level ($17,236 for an individual in 2019), you may be eligible and can enroll at any time during the year.
Whenever possible, you should talk with a certified enrollment counselor who understands your individual health care needs before enrolling in a new insurance plan. This is especially important if you are HIV-positive or if you are HIV-negative and considering pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP), as some plans may be more affordable than others.
Living with HIV ?
If you are living with HIV, you may be able to get help paying for your medications and health insurance premiums through the AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP) and the Office of AIDS Health Insurance Premium Payment (OA-HIPP) Program. To be eligible for ADAP and OA-HIPP, you must have a modified adjusted gross income that is less than 500% of the federal poverty level based on household size. Learn more about ADAP and OA-HIPP.
Keep in mind that some plans may be more affordable than others depending on your HIV status. Whenever possible, you should talk with a certified enrollment counselor who understands your individual health care needs before enrolling in a new insurance plan
Are you uninsured?
No problem. Our enrollment specialists will help you find the right health plan. You will never be turned away or denied treatment at APLA Health based on your financial situation. Our fees are on a sliding scale basis depending on your ability to pay, and you can find more details on fees and discounts here.
My Health LA
My Health LA provides no-cost primary care services to:
- People who live in Los Angeles County;
- Age 26 and older;
- People with incomes below a monthly limit, click here to see if you qualify;
- People that do not have health insurance or cannot get health insurance.
Please call an APLA Health clinic to make an enrollment appointment and to make sure the clinic is currently taking new patients.
My Health LA proporciona servicios de atención primaria sin costo a:
- Gente que vive en el condado de Los Ángeles
- Personas mayores de 26 años
- Gente con ingresos que están por debajo de un límite mensual; haga clic aquí
- Gente que no cuenta con un seguro de salud o que no puede contratar un seguro de salud
Para averiguar si es elegible para participar en My Health LA, lea la hoja informativa (español/inglés) o llame a Servicios para Miembros al 1.844.744.6452, de 7:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. (de lunes a viernes).
Llame a la clínica APLA Health para hacer una cita de inscripción y para asegurarse de que la clínica está aceptando nuevos pacientes en este momento.
Be Seen at APLA Health
The best way to determine the right plan for you is by meeting us at our clinics. Our care team includes doctors, nurse practitioners, RNs and support staff who are qualified in your care and experts on PrEP. Our clinics are stigma-free spaces built on trust where you’re supported in all aspects of wellness.
Contact us to schedule an appointment. Even if we’re not your provider today, we can help you sign up with us or choose your own.
Get in Touch
Please contact one of our Enrollment Specialists for assistance:
If you are living with HIV, you can access benefits help at
The David Geffen Center in Mid-City
Help is available in English and Spanish.
Covered California Frequently Asked Questions
For People Living with HIV and Hepatitis C and People Considering PrEP